Friday, August 17, 2007

Teachers and Inspiration

My first draft of this was all about me trying to explain my conflicted feelings towards ADF, both the love and the, um, not love (hate is too strong of a word here). But the more I wrote, the more I realized that’s ridiculous to even try to explain it in one entry. It would be horrifically abbreviated, unless I wrote a treaties and I have better things to do with my time and this blog.

And as conflicted as I am about ADF, you should hear me discuss Feri and Reclaiming traditions, another large influence on my own religion. Yeah, I know, I just took two pagan religions, each vastly different from the other, and cited them as my religious inspiration. I find that both have different aspects I’m drawn to and to be fair, I’m really conflicted with Feri and Reclaiming as well.

And since I’m listing my influences I’d have to add CR and Buddhism. I know, I just outed my self as eclectic. *gasp* The horror. I guess I’ll have to live with it.

I find the spark of the divine in all religions, I just have an easier time connecting with it through certain theologies and not through others. More often, I find the works spiritual elders (Ian Corrigan, Ceisiwr Serith, Starhawk, T. Thorne Coyle, M. Macha Nightmare, Anne Hill, Dianne Sylvan, Rumi, Buddha, the Dali Lama, Ram Dass and Erynn Rowan Laurie to name many of the people who inspire me) help me access and refine my own sense of spirit and connection to it. These people inspire me, the religions they belong to and the practices they teach inspire me. My spiritual home cannot be captured expect perhaps in the rhythm of the city, an expanse of the night sky and the breath of a tree.

No comments: